Thursday, January 7, 2010

Germany 2009---Day two!

Lael and I at the Nurnberg train station. Lael and Jackie were pros when it came to getting us on the right train!

The main street of Nurnberg with the booths on the right and lots of shoppers!


Dogs are everywhere and go everywhere---into stores and restaurants!

Today we took the train to Nurnberg, the city famous for the trying of WWII criminals. It was a charming city, smaller than Munich with a great Christmas market. These markets are all different types of vendors set up in booths in the city square. You will find all sorts of tree ornaments, Nutcrackers, toys, candy, all different kinds of wursts (sausages), mulled wine (the most popular of all the booths!), and hand made items to name a few. One big decoration for the local people is tiny figures made out of dried prunes!!! Honestly! They make all different sorts of people in various occupations. Judging from the number of booths we saw selling these "treasures" they must be quite a desirable item. (I thought they were a little strange myself!) Another thing we noticed is that the German people love hedgehogs. They have lots of little stuffed ones in window displays and as ornaments. I bought one for my Christmas tree. We went to two "Kathie Wolfhart" stores---wonderful stores dedicated just to Christmas decorations. There I fell in love with a small Nutcracker Santa and hoped that I would find another nutcracker just as cute for my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment