Sunday, June 7, 2009

Eagle Project Extraordinaire





Yes, alas, it is time for the fifth son's Eagle Scout Project. (When I was sent the fourth son in a row, I knew the Lord had a sense of humor! I can just imagine Him smiling and saying, "Just for fun, let's send her another one!") Seriously, I love all the men in my life---and their cute spouses and children. But, when we found out that our sixth child was a boy I came home from the ultra sound and my conversation with Bob went something like this:
Sue: Honey, it's a boy!
Bob: Do you know what this means... it means a mission, college, graduate school...
Sue: Honey, your daughter can do all those things!!! I'll tell you what it means... another Eagle Scout!
In contemplating another scouting career with another son, I consoled myself by immediately going to a wonderful fabric store and buying the cutest boy fabric I could find to make a smocked outfit for this new baby.

So, here we are... that baby, Josh, is now 15 almost 16, is a Life Scout with his remaining two merit badges almost complete and the much anticipated Eagle Scout project to do. Well, by the time you are my age, 53, and helping with your fifth Eagle Scout project, you are TIRED! So in contemplating Eagle projects, we needed something that wasn't too physically hard and that could be relatively easy and fun. Do such projects even exist? Yes, we found one! Josh is making quilts for Primary Children's Medical Center. They have a tradition of having a homemade quilt on every bed. Josh needs to make at least four quilts and get eighty hours of service. He completed the first quilt this week-end. He got the fabric ready and then had his friends come over to tie the quilt and had a party afterwards. It was awesome!!!

1 comment: